Questions? Comments? Send me an email at TaraGettingMarried@gmail.com.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Invitation FAQs

Since revealing my invitations, I've received a number of questions via comments, emails, and messages on WeddingBee.  I'm going to try to address them all here.

1.)  How did you make your map insert?
It was time consuming, but really very simple.  I've already addressed this in previous blog posts.  You can see them here, here, here, and here.  I figured out how to do it from using this tutorial.  I don't think I have a whole lot to add to what she already said.  Except, I used Google Maps instead of Mapquest!  

2.)  What did you include in your invitation inserts?
I think the better question is what didn't I include on the inserts!  I tried to be as thorough as possible.  I did a map insert, a directions insert, an information insert, and a reception insert.  The map insert was just a map.  The directions insert included directions to the ceremony and from the ceremony to the reception.  The information and reception inserts included a bunch of information that I thought the guests could use like:
  • Accommodation suggestions
  • Our wedding website (and my email)
  • Appropriate attire
  • Information about the event (outdoor ceremony with tent reception)
  • Cocktail hour and dinner times (and listed that it would be buffet)
  • Non-smoking ceremony/reception (we both have smokers in our families and we didn't want there to be any surprise that they weren't allowed to smoke at the ceremony or near the tent!)
I would suggest that you include anything that will help your guests get through the day.  If you're having an outdoor wedding in Florida in August, make sure your guests know that!  If you're going to have your guests sitting on straw bales for the ceremony, that might be something the ladies (dresses!) might want to know (straw is not comfortable on bare legs!).  If children are not allowed, make it very clear.  If you are having a formal wedding, make sure you tell your guests exactly what they need to wear.  If you're not going to have a full dinner (simple hors d'oeurves reception), make sure your guests know (hungry guests will not be happy guests).  

Guests do not want surprises (unless they're good ones!).  Make sure you inform your guests so that there are no issues and your day goes smoothly!


3.)  How did you make your pocketfold?  What were the measurements?
I addressed this over several blog posts.  First I cut out the paper, then I folded them in the appropriate places, then I glued the pockets down.  You can see all of my pocketfold posts by clicking here.  For quick reference, I will repost the measurements I used for the pocketfold.


If you're buying the 20"x26" paper from Paper Source like I did, you can simply cut the paper into 5 strips of 5"x20", like this:


You'll have a one inch strip leftover on the one end, but it's not that much waste.  

4.)  How did you get the inserts to fit so nicely?
The pocketfold was 5 inches across so I made the inserts 4 inches across to make sure that they would fit once the sides were glued down (I thought an inch would be plenty of room and I was correct).  The height of the pocket was 6 inches, so I made the first insert (the map) 5.75" (to leave a little room above the inserts).  I made each of the other inserts 1/2" less than the previous (so the map was 5.75", the directions were 5.25", the information was 4.75", and the reception insert was 4.25").  Then I put the title in a font that would not exceed half an inch (so that each title would be able to be seen above the next, like so:


Each insert has a title that can be easily seen without being overlapped by the other inserts.  It has a clean look that I like.  :)  I didn't want to ruin the feng shui I had going on so I put the RSVPs on the outside of the pocketfold (in between the belly band and the pocketfold).  I think it looked much better that way!


5.)  How did you make your belly bands?
I cut out a piece of cardboard that was 7" across (the same as the pocketfold).  Then I tied the ribbon around it and made a simple double knot (I didn't want anything complex).  Once I had them all done, I could simply slide the belly band over the completed pocketfold and RSVP.  


I think that's all for now.  I've received requests for the template, but I've given you all the information you need.  If I gave out the template, I'd have to go back in and delete all of the personal information and it's just not something I've got time for right now.  Besides, you'd just end up with blank documents in the right size!  I have faith that all of you can come up with those on your own!  ;)  If you've got other questions, please let me know and I'll try to answer them as best as I can.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...