Questions? Comments? Send me an email at

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Happy Engage-versary to us!

I want to apologize for the lack of activity on the blog for the past week.  Philip and I found out that his grandfather was in the hospital late Friday night and immediately drove the 1,600 miles to Pennsylvania to be with him.  We stopped off in Indiana to drop off the dogs at my parents' house and to get a break from driving.  After a few hours break, we got back in the car and finished the drive.  It was about 31 hours of travel.  It was exhausting, but at least we made it safely.  We actually just got back to Colorado this morning at about 4:30am.  

Philip's grandfather is doing as well as can be expected after a series of strokes and a heart attack.  He also has some kind of bacterial infection.  By the time we left, he was doing much better, but he's still got a long road ahead of him and probably some surgeries.

Anyway, I meant to blog about our engagement anniversary, but I was in a hospital in Pennsylvania and couldn't blog very easily!  So, August 14th was our one year engagement anniversary.  I thought I'd celebrate it by telling you all of the story of how it came about.

Philip and I had been discussing marriage for quite some time.  I tried to convince Philip that I didn't want an engagement ring, but he couldn't be swayed.  So, I showed him the kinds of rings that I like.  

Several weeks later, we were cooking out at our house and just relaxing.  When we finished, I started cleaning up and Philip went to check the mail.  I was tired from being in the sun all day so I laid down on the couch and started to drift off to sleep.  I heard Philip come into the house and I yelled out to him "What came in the mail?"  Then I heard him kneel behind the couch and say, "This did."  

I opened my eyes to see what he was talking about and saw a beautiful box holding an even more beautiful ring.  I immediately jumped up (not so tired anymore!) and Philip asked me to marry him.  Of course, I said YES!  

I asked him if he had talked to my parents about it and he said that he hadn't.  So, I took a photo of my ring on my finger and sent it to my mom, my dad, and my sister with the simple message, "Guess what!"  

It was just a few minutes later when I got a call back from my parents.  They were ecstatic as I knew they would be.  :)  Then we started telling our friends.  And, of course, we made it Facebook official (after all, nothing is official until it's on Facebook!).  

There you have it!  We started thinking about a date that day.  We knew we wanted a September wedding and, of course, it needed to be in Yankee colors.  And, it was decided that day that we'd be honeymooning in Italy.  And, then the whirlwind of wedding planning began. It's been quite an adventure.  Only 37 days to go!  Yuck!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...