Questions? Comments? Send me an email at TaraGettingMarried@gmail.com.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Vanilla Update + More FAQs

I thought you all might like to see how the vanilla favors are coming along.  It's now been 3 weeks (21 days) since I put them together.  They are darkening up nicely!




Most of the bottles look like that.  However, a few aren't getting dark as quickly.  I think maybe they have defective beans.  I shook all of the bottles again today.  I'll check them again in a few days and if those few bottles still aren't looking darker, I'll add some new beans.  

Anyway, I've had a few more questions asked about these.  So, here goes:

1.)  How long do they take?
Most recipes online suggest that the bottles "stew" for at least 2 months.  Others say three months.  I have just over 2 months for the bottles to get ready.  Since it's been less than a month and most of my bottles are already super dark, I don't think it's going to be an issue.  The vanilla will keep for a long time (most places I've seen at least 2 years), so it can be made even earlier if you'd like.

2.)   Can you get drunk off the vanilla extract?
Honestly, I'm really surprised that I keep getting this question.  Since the favors are just vodka and vanilla beans, I'm sure that you probably would get intoxicated from drinking it straight up.  However, I don't know why you'd want to drink vanilla extract.  It's mostly used for baking.  I do not want anyone to take offense here, but I think that if your first response to these favors is "I bet I can get drunk off those," you might want to seek help for an alcohol problem.  

3.)  Where did you get the bottles and corks for the favors?
I've already addressed this, but as a reminder, I got them from Save-on-Crafts.  They were 49¢ a piece (plus shipping).  That included the bottles and corks.  I had a few broken bottles, but they sent me replacements right away.  However, they never responded to any of my emails so I had to call them (and wait on hold for a while) in order to speak to customer service.  I think they were well worth the little bit of hassle. 


I think that's all I've got for now.  If you've got any other questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...