Questions? Comments? Send me an email at TaraGettingMarried@gmail.com.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Naples: A Disappointment

[I took a bunch of photos, but only my favorites are here.  If you'd like to see them all, please go HERE and HERE.]

When I last left off, I described my initial disappointment in Naples. Unfortunately, it didn't really get better. We left the hotel in search of a better part of Naples. We walked a few miles and came to Castel dell'Ovo. It was actually pretty cool. And it was free.  


As it turns out, Naples doesn't look bad from afar.  ;)  Probably because you can't see all of the garbage everywhere.  


We wandered around the castel for a few hours.  I spent most of the time looking over the edge taking pictures.  It was really warm and I wished we could go swimming (sort of... I thought we might end up swimming in toxic waste or something... that beautiful blue water is surely hiding secrets).  


Meanwhile, Philip spent his time trying to be ridiculous.  



Also, remember that we hadn't gotten much sleep the night before.  So, Philip's silliness makes a tad bit more sense.  ;)  Maybe...



Look how pretty Naples looks from the Castle.  It's tricky.  If you could see up close, you'd see trash everywhere and graffiti covering just about everything.  



Even the beautiful rocky coast isn't safe from the graffiti "artists."  


And, yes, this is a guy just pissing on the rocks.  Mind you, there was a clubhouse type thing just a few feet away, but apparently this guy thought that was too much hassle.  


As you can probably tell, I did not like Naples.  I was ready to get the hell out of there.  Unfortunately, we had two nights there.  

I tried to make the best of it.  We went back to the hotel and took a nap.  At some point, someone actually opened the door to our room while we were sleeping.  She let out a little yelp and walked back out.  She got a good look at Philip's bare butt, I'm sure.  LOL  I have no idea what made her think she could just walk into our room.  It was about 5pm, and we checked in hours earlier.  There should have been no reason for her to be in our hotel room.  Oh, well.

We went out that night to a recommended pizza place: Trianon da Ciro.  It was pretty good.  Philip loved the Naples pizza.  I actually liked Rome pizza better.  The service was sub-par but we weren't in a hurry so it wasn't a huge deal.  

When we started to walk back, it was dark.  I didn't feel at all safe.  However, Philip still wanted to try to see the city.  So, we wandered.  I was so glad to get back to the hotel that night.  And, at least we had Pompeii to look forward to the following day.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...