Questions? Comments? Send me an email at TaraGettingMarried@gmail.com.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Last Names

There has been a lot of chatter recently on the forums (and bridal blogs) about whether or not to the bride should change her last name, keep her maiden name, or do some sort of hyphenation.

This has never really been a question for me.  From the moment that Philip and I started talking about marriage, I knew that I would be taking his last name.  

It's not that I have anything against my last name.  I'm quite attached to it.  I mean, it's been mine for 25 years now.  Ketcham isn't a very common last name, but there are a few famous Ketchams:  Hank Ketcham, Thomas "Black Jack" Ketcham, Jack Ketchum, and even Ash Ketchum (ha!). 

According to HowManyOfMe.com, Ketcham is the 7,515th most common last name in the U.S.  I enjoy having a slightly uncommon last name.

However, I won't be giving up any uncommonness by taking Philip's name.  His last name is Buch -- which is the 12,273rd most common name in the U.S.  WAY less common than Ketcham!  And, I'll get to be towards the beginning of the alphabet for the first time in my life.  

I am not changing my last name because I dislike my name.  I'm not changing it because I like Buch better than Ketcham.  I'm just changing it because I feel that it makes Philip and I more as one.  It's just my way of thinking.  

I know it's not the right choice for everyone, but I want our children to share the same last name as both of us.  I want our family to be complete and I just think it will be weird if our kids have to ask, "Why does Mommy have a different name than us?" 

It's never been a question for me.  There's never been any doubt that I would be a Buch.  Are you changing your last name?  What are your reasons for changing or not changing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...