Questions? Comments? Send me an email at TaraGettingMarried@gmail.com.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Save-the-Date Magnets: Cost Breakdown

I am so incredibly happy with how our Save-the-Date magnets turned out (and that they are finally mailed out and done!).  I'm even more pleased with how inexpensive they ended up being.  I saved an arm and a leg on these things by doing them myself!  Without further ado, here is the cost breakdown for my DIY save-the-date magnets:

Magnet Sheets: $9.99 for 12 sheets
$0.8325 per sheet
5 Magnets per Sheet
$0.1665 per magnet

So, the magnets themselves were only about $0.17 each.

Save-the-Date Photos: $7.50 for 75 photos
$0.10 per photo

So, the photo magnets were only $0.27 each!  That is absolutely unbelievable.  Even with the cards and envelopes added in, they were still a great deal:

Pack of 50 sheets of cardstock: $1.49 (bought at a discount store!)
$0.0298 per Sheet
2 Cards per Sheet
$0.0149 per Card

Holy Moly!  That's less than 2 cents per card!

Box of 100 Envelopes: $10.79 (with free shipping through Amazon Prime!)
$0.1079 per envelope

9 Sheets of Tissue Paper: $1.00
$0.111 per sheet
11 Envelope Liners per Sheet
$0.01 per Envelope Liner

So, for each STD that I made, the total without shipping was only $0.3993.  I basically spent $0.40 for each complete STD.  AAAHHH!!  I'm amazing.  ;)

Before deciding to make these myself, I did some searching online for STD magnets.  I was in serious sticker shock.  The cheapest ones I could find were $1.29 a piece. (because I only needed 75).  That only included the photo magnet and the envelope; not the card.  AND, those magnets were much smaller than the ones I created.  Those were only 2"x3.5".  My magnets are 3.5"x5".  That is $0.89 difference for a smaller magnet and no card or envelope liner.  

The one that I found that was pretty close to the size I made (they were 3.5"x5.5" -- so a half inch bigger than mine) were $1.89 per magnet (since I only needed 75).  Again, they included envelopes but no cards or envelope lienrs and were $1.49 more per magnet.  If I would have bought these, I would have spent $141.75 plus shipping to get them to my house.  And then I would've still had to buy or make the cards and the envelope liners! 

I think it goes without saying that I got an insanely awesome deal by DIYing these photo magnets.  It took a little bit of effort, but I think it was worth it.  I ended up sending out 65 Save-the-Date magnets.  This means that I spent $26 TOTAL on these!  That is a difference of at least (not including shipping, cards, or envelope liners) $115.75!  I don't think I could be any more pleased with them.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I think save the dates magnets are such a great idea, I'm definitely going to do this for my wedding. Thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...