Questions? Comments? Send me an email at TaraGettingMarried@gmail.com.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Dye Disaster

I bought some tulle (for the chair sashes) and some fabric rose petals (for the Flower Girl) from Dollar Tree.  They were both white.  I wanted them in navy blue, but it's a whole lot cheaper to buy them from DT and dye them.  Or so I thought.

I bought some liquid Rit dye and tried the machine wash directions.  I was terrified because the dye looked purple.  But, I went ahead with the instructions. 


All did not end well.  I ended up with lavender colored petals and tulle.  They look really pretty, but they're not what I was going for!  

So, I looked up how I should really dye these flower petals.  I found instructions on the DT website here (FYI: that's how my petals actually look!  ha!).  The Dollar Tree website actually has a lot of helpful information and ideas for weddings (and other events!). 

Anyway, I'm going to pick up some more dye tomorrow and give it another go.  Hopefully take two will end better than take one!  But, hey.  At least I managed to not get any dye on myself (but my washing machine looks like and Easter egg -- hopefully a bleach cycle will take care of that!). 

1 comment:

  1. Bummer! I'm sure the second try will workout. I dyed my peach window drapes navy in the washing machine. They look purple now because the sun bleached them out so you might have to store them in a dark place.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...