Questions? Comments? Send me an email at TaraGettingMarried@gmail.com.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Rings

I don't wear a whole lot of jewelry.  I never leave the house without wearing a pair of hoop earrings and the necklace Philip got me on our first Christmas (it's a Tahitian black pearl).  And, since we got engaged in August, I always wear my engagement ring.  

When we got engaged, it was sort of a surprise.  We had been discussing it for a few months.  I knew that Philip was going to "pop the question" sometime soon, but I didn't know the day.  I didn't know that he had a ring.  
However, we did discuss the ring before he bought it.  He wanted to know what kind of ring I wanted.  I first tried to convince him not to buy me an engagement ring.  I thought it was completely unnecessary.  We could just get wedding bands and that would be fine with me.  He wouldn't accept that answer.  

Then I told him to just get me a pearl ring.  He didn't want to accept that answer either.  He wanted to get me a traditional diamond engagement ring.  
Finally, I told him that when it came to diamonds, I liked the marquise cut.  However, I had one condition.  Any ring he bought had to cost under $300.00.  

He didn't really like that condition.  As usual, Philip wanted to spend a ton of money on a gift for me.  I told him that I didn't need an expensive ring for him to prove that he loves me.  He finally gave in.

He bought me this ring:

One of our engagement photos -- taken by Lucas McDonough.
It's simple and beautiful.  And, I love it.  Not because of the diamond or the gold.  I love it because of what it symbolizes for us.  

Last week I was reading about someone's wedding bands and I thought, why do I need another ring?  I brought it up with Philip.  I told him that I didn't want a wedding band.  I like my ring just the way it is.  I expected an argument, but I didn't get one.  He told me I could do whatever I wanted.  :)


So, my bloggy friends, I will not be getting a wedding band.  I will continue to just rock my engagement ring.  And, it is perfect.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...