A while back, Philip and I discovered Walks of Italy. It's a company that does tours throughout Italy. Most tours last a few hours. Yesterday, we bought several tours with them.
- In the evening of our first night in Rome, we will be taking a tour of the city. We will be seeing the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, the Area Sacra, the Piazza Navona, and Bernini's Fountain of the Four Rivers among other things. The tour is mostly to get acquainted with the city.
- We will get to see the upper portion of the Colosseum along with the underground portion that has only recently been open to the public. We will also have a tour of the Roman Forum.
- This is basically an underground tour of Rome! We will get to see some of the ancient tunnels and catacombs underneath the city! I am really looking forward to this tour! It's something that not everyone gets to see when coming to Rome. We will also get to see the Capuchin bone crypt. It is a cemetery literally built from bones! It sounds really disgusting but awesome!
Then we will move on to Florence, Venice, and then Naples. We'll be doing touring on our own in those cities. However, when we arrive in Pompeii, we will be taking another tour.
- We'll be seeing all that the city has to offer from the forum to the temple. We'll be seeing all of the bodies entombed in ash. Wow. I guess another morbid tour. ;)
Then it's back to Rome where we have yet another tour.
- We will be getting up bright an early this day. The tour starts at 7:45am. We will get to see Sistine Chapel before any other tour group is allowed in. Then we'll tour the rest of Vatican City including St. Peter's Basilica, the Vatican museums, and see Michelangelo's Pieta.
So, there you have it. We'll be seeing a ton of historical sit4es while we are there. I can't wait! And Philip is barely containing his excitement! The nice thing about these tours is that they only allow a maximum of 12 people per tour group, so the tour will be small and personal. And, they've got great reviews. Let's hope it's as good as we're hoping!